Monday, April 2, 2012

Our future

As a parent, I spend a lot of time, critiquing and criticizing other peoples parenting styles. I read articles from other types of societies, other countries, constantly trying to better myself, educate myself on how to be the "perfect parent". I'm the baby of 4 and I have recently become extremely aware of how differently all of my siblings and myself parent our children, and we all differ from how our parents raised us. But why? After talking to my sibling I realized that we are all trying to improve, my parents have obviously done a wonderful job raising us, for we all see the world, and what it is, and want to make our children better.
I spent some time with my family in Arizona recently and I left my oldest son with my sister while I ran an errand. When I got back she said something about my son being a lot to handle, more emotionally than anything. He's generally calm, polite, well behaved, but he is a tad bit OCD. And with that comes a lot of emotional "annoyances".
I was somewhat dumb founded by the idea that anyone would think my son was a lot to handle, usually people are so impressed with him, until I realized that my sister is the perfect parent, for HER children...and that I am a perfect parent, for MINE.
I believe in order to the universe. A chaos theory causes me anxiety, probably due to my own OCD tendencies. Not necessarily fate, or destiny, but...rightness, opportunity, faith in a higher power, a just God, a fair God.
I know that my children were giving to me with purpose. Because I am capable of being the perfect fit, for them. I have the ability to set them up for success, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
As a parent I don't take this duty lightly, and neither should any other parent. It is in OUR hands to truly change the future. Our world is broken, falling apart, sad, weak. But it has so much potential. Teach your little ones, teach them to be honest, kind, brave, sincere, gentle, faithful, trusting, trustworthy, self sufficient, clean, humble. Teach them in the ways of the Lord, not the ways of the world. teach them to value purity, chastity, honor. Teach them every action, good or bad has a consequence. Teach them that they are capable. Educate them, on the things your heart is prompted to teach them, not simply how to pass a test in school, but how to pass the tests of life. Teach them how to be successful.
My point is...TEACH THEM. It is NO ONE'S responsibility to teach and educate your children, but YOURS.
I am the perfect parent for my children, because I am TRYING. I am NOT perfect, and I am NOT a perfect parent in general. But because I am trying, because I am striving to do what I know must be done, I know i am the right person for this job, the only person for this job. If I was ever out of the picture there are few I would trust with this ever important job of raising my children, but those whom I would trust know who they are. I trust them because I know they would try...and that's all the Lord expects of us in this life, is to try our hardest, to do our best.

3 comments:

  1. I've been having trouble with my husband's niece and the way that her parent's parent her...it is NOT the way I would do it at all! So thank you for this, I need to try to be non-judgmental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful to be your Mom' Each of my children are the perfect parents for their children. Thank goodness we are all so different. I learn so much from you. I am a better Mom & Grammy just from knowing you. I know I am far far from being perfect, but I know I am the perfect Mama for you and you are the perfect baby for me. You are an amazing Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and everything else you are. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand this completely! Being a mom of six children with very different personalities and one of which is autistic I feel people judge me as a parent often. It can be heart breaking to hear others opinion of what they think I should or should not be doing. Being a mom is hard work and I may not always do it well but at the end of the day when someone tells me how respectful or sweet one of my children have been, or when they come in a simply say, "I love you mom" it doesn't matter what anyone thinks because at that moment I feel successful ....

    ReplyDelete