Monday, March 12, 2012

Old Fashion Love

Heading to the store for snacks, my Honey proceeded to walk to my car door and open it for me, I climbed in, with a grin on my face, acknowledging the sweet gesture that usually only occurs when the kids aren't around (simply becasue getting in the car WITH our boys is a life event all on it's own!). Our neighbor was standing outside and said to my Honey, "You still open her doors for her? That's so sweet!" He grinned and replied "Sometimes!"
Why did she sound surprised? Why was it such a novel idea that my Honey would STILL open my car door? Why has the old school love language, of simply being polite and kind because you love one another, gone to the way side? My Daddy has ALWAYS opened my mom's doors for her, and us girls, and any women or girl he is around. It's just nice. When I was dating I used to ALWAYS pay attention to wether or not a guy opened my car door for me. Time and time again I was disappointed, lots of times my hopes were rewarded though with an opened door, usually by a well mannered Mormon boy who knew it was polite.
It's such a simple gesture, opening a door, waiting for a loved one to join us at the dinner table before devouring our meals, a simple kiss and/or sincere goodbye, "I LOVE YOU" every time we leave one another. My Honey often rolls his eyes at me when I insist on such simple gestures, but in my mind, if my sons see their father opening their mothers door, they too, will return the favor to the girls they date and eventually the woman they marry.
And if they see their mother, being a woman who appreciates, acknowledges, and sometimes even insists on such simple gestures, then perhaps when they are searching for a girl they will spend their life, growing old with, they will seek a girl who respects herself enough to know she deserves to have her door opened. Deserves a man willing to treat her like she is more important than the world makes her feel.
So guys, be old school...open car doors. And girls, expect your door to be opened, and know that if you are settling for a man that doesn't open your car door, perhaps you are doing just that, settling.
Please don't divorce your husbands if he doesn't open your car door, and if it's not important to you then by all means laugh at me. But i feel confident that every relationship could use an "I appreciate when you ______." conversation. Even if it has nothing to do with opened doors, or warm meals.
We should sacrifice for one another, because we should love one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment